Thursday, March 12, 2009



*chomp#$@&#$munch$%#@&chew#$%&gulp* sorry was polishing off the last laddoo.
The only thing I love about Holi is the mouth watering sweets my awesome mum dishes out. Now here I’d like to mention n I think most of my friends would agree my mum has an X chromosome with a cooking gene replacing every piece of junk DNA. (I’m hoping against hope that a non-bio person i.e. someone other than my best friends is reading this blog….I want to thank u with all my heart……u r very special to me….but u will have to google to find out what the previous sentence means :P).

Now Holi comes right after the winter season (going by Mumbai standards…some parts of India are still enjoying pleasant weather…lucky them!! *sob*) ya so….right after winter season….when bongs in Kolkata enjoy the date (as in khajoor in hindi :P) jaggery that comes into market only in the winter. I don’t live in Kolkata but I still get to enjoy the delights of “patali gudd” (bong name for the jaggery), mum always manages to lay her hands on some (love her!!! :P). But this year she made two trips to Kolkata between December and January n our freezer is well stocked for the rest of the year!!! :D

So coming back to holi n sweets, this year ma got a little carried away (not that I’m complaining) coconut laddoos (nadoos in bong), sandesh(this is the only sweet u might find at a bong sweet shop), peethe (sweetened rice n gudd pancakes stuffed with coconut cooked in gudd), gajar ka halwa (only dish without the gudd), she also bought gujiya n jalebis from the local sweet shop……………………..brb have to wipe the drool off my chin (I’m a girl so I will use a hanky or a tissue not my sleeve.)
So obviously I have been stuffing my face with the delectable reservoirs of calories…. ignoring the 'ouches', 'eee..s' n 'chee chees' coming from inside my wardrobe. I think the 'ouches' came from the belts n buttons. I’m sure my tops n denims understand…..they’ve tasted my mum’s food, I feel generous (read clumsy) sometimes…..n feed my clothing when I eat :P

A thought crosses my mind, “my kids will miss this…..coz I hate to even enter the kitchen(according to my mother I haven’t yet experienced the pleasures of cooking) what I fail to understand is, what can be so pleasurable about sweating in a hot stuffy kitchen to painstakingly make something which will be eaten in minutes n u know where it will end up the next morning!!!! Another ewww I think from the fridge. Then again in my mum’s words “u’ll know when u have kids, u’ll want them to know and experience all the good things that u have known.” I mentally promise my self to take culinary lessons from my mother before I have kids……but I don’t think I could infuse that magic into the food or put that much effort n resources into gathering the ingredients. So I think I’ll just visit my parents for festivals…….some people never change…..n I am one of them. :P
p.s. this post is coming a day after holi because the author was busy pigging out yesterday. :)

8 comments:

  1. am sooooo jealous....i want all d delicacies too...
    and u lazy ,hogging cute piggie..better learn those recipes...not only ur kids..but some visitors(read:me) will bless u..when they eat all this..
    sighghg
    slurp......

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, feed me sam.. im 1 of ur bio-knowledgable best frnds :D .. plus, u al wil agree i have a stay-reedy-thin gene in me that probably accounts for half the junk dna in me hehe.. the other half manages the sleep section ;) ... feed me.. dont feed the underwater pony abomination... the sweets like u n me are terrestrial... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. well anje....ur invited to my parents' place on holi.... :D n kk u r not...u'll eat sweets made by me......muahahahahahaha.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are these the photographs of the sweets your mom made or you picked them up from some site?

    ReplyDelete
  5. from the net.....i ate up everything before i could get the camera :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm non-bio but i got everything you said about your mum's genes! I don't want your love just gimme the damn sweets! :)

    i've hogged my fair share of 'Sho'ndesh (heh heh Bong style) from my roomies when they'd return from Kolkatta.

    Keep the food coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooooooo.......thank you Dphat.....my first visitor "sniff".....u can have the sweets and the love......please do come again....."sniff sniff"

    ReplyDelete
  8. HEY SAM....I AWRD THEE...
    PLZ COLLECT IT FROM MA BLOG...

    ReplyDelete